2012 Reading Challenge

Having realized, in one of those painfully guilty moment, that I don't read or write as much as I wanted to, I decided to follow some no-nonsense, practical measures to keep my love with books intact. A few clicks and couple of stumbles finally lead me to the '2012 Reading Challenge'. I initially thought of putting a target of some 100 books (Wow Alen Wow). That would mean 1 book every 3.65 days. Really not happening unless it is an year when I am completely jobless! So here it goes:

Target: 20 books
Finished: 13 books (what a lucky number)
How I feel: painfully guilty

Micro by Michael Crichton, March 30
What a start. One of the most absurd book I have ever read. A big fan of State of Fear and Congo, I thought it was a safe option to try Crichton. Alas! The book resembled a gargled vomit of words in which the author got neither the theme or the story right. Add to that he finds an innovative way to kill the hero towards the middle of the story. Even 30 pages to the end of the book, I was referring back to the initial pages to find out who is who. I swore I wouldn't touch a Crichton book after going through that ordeal.

So let us try someone new now. The Five Greatest Warriors by Matthew Reilly, April 20 2012. I had huge expectations after reading the synopsis. I had just quit Infy and was preparing for a very long vacation. What a way to start a vacation. I don't remember anything about the book now(apart from Jesus being one of the 5 warriors) which pretty much explains how the book was. 

Am I maturing as a reader?? or is it just that my choices have gone bad...

Well never the one to quit so easily, it was time to go for the tried and tested path of finding good reads. I called my friend and asked him what he was reading. A Game of Thrones was an amazing find and A Song of Ice and Fire by Martin George kept me occupied for the next 20 days. For an avid fantasy fiction fan like me, the book was a must-read. Very mature! Definitely not something that I would recommend to my younger cousins. The author has also truly etched the true nature of power and politics in his brilliant narrative. The first 3 books were excellent but he went a little too far with the next two books needlessly dragging the story while explaining things to the minutest details. Even an author has to pay his bills and eat his meals I guess.

A bit of rest and I finally decided to try the Shiva Triology by Amish Tripathi, May 19 and May 20. The Immortals of Meluha was an enchanting book which took me completely by surprise. Both the books were sweet and short reads and kudos to the author. I hope he keeps innovating his style and philosophy unlike Chetan Bhagat. Anxiously awaiting for my pre-ordered copy of The Oath of the Vayuputras now.

Damn. Then MBA happened. I had heard stories of how Bschool life would eat ones time and life.  Stories of sleepless nights and sleep-filled classes. Horrors of the never ending case studies, the ever stressful summers and the Time that just slips away from your hands. The next four months proved that all of them were true. By the time I took my next book The Perks of being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, it was already September. But under the circumstances, I couldn't have asked for a better book. Different, thought-provoking and the second time I liked a book written in the letter format.

Enough is enough. Professors may not really care about our time, but I do! I started reading books in class and finished both How I Braved Anu Aunty and Co-Founded a Million Dollar Company by Varun Agarwal, September 19 and The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud, October 08. I don't enjoy reading in class like I used to do back in my school days. The profs are too disturbing and what the hell is "Class Participation".

But all was whisked away by the next book I read. A true classic which swept me off my feet at the very first page. Like many times It was my brother who suggested this book. It was magical two days as I poured on and on through the pages of The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zaffon, October 10. There are no words to explain this book. It took me to a world which I seemed to have forgotten long back and evoked emotions which surprised myself. I did shed a few tears and that for me is the biggest thing which any book or movie can do to me. It also remains the only book that I have given a 5 star rating in Goodreads through the entire reading challenge.



Tried and failed again. The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nassim Nicholas Taleb still remains in the unread list. I cannot remember how many times I have started reading this book without being able to finish it. A false start to The Winning Way: Learnings from sport for managers by Harsha Bhogle and it remains incomplete in the shelf. I have lost interest completely after reading some 300 pages of Like a Virgin: Secrets They Won't Teach You at Business by Richard Branson. I think I am just not cut out for reading these non-fiction books or maybe it is just a phase.

p.s. 2013 Reading Challenge...Target 25 books
p.p.s 2 Blogs in 10 days. OMG! I am on a roll
p.p.p.s This must be one of the longest post that I have ever published
p.p.p.p.s I still love post scripts

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please Free feel to comment but do put your name with it!

Followers