A new year of sorts!!

It is a revolting idea. How could this day be any important than any other day? In matter of time, date and place, it has no specialty. The earth revolves around the sun which means there is no single point of beginning. Thus this day could have been any other day. Yet this day stands on top of all others. One could argue that this is the mother of all days.

I remember talking to a friend of mine yesterday about how new year was a commercial invention. If that is the case, then it is perhaps the greatest marketing affair of all times. My friend was put down by my apparent lukewarm reaction to her 3 hour early new year wishing. But the truth is that I was in no mood to celebrate this day. New year is suppose to bring something new to life. It is suppose to be the day when we can start life anew, forgetting past mistakes. But somehow I didn't want this. I wanted it to pass without affecting me. Maybe years of making resolutions and breaking them has finally taken the toll on my spirits.

But somehow I couldn sleep. Needless to say, the hour long session of bursting crackers by my hostel inmates didn help. Thus I found myself wandering the familiar territory of hope for a new year. I was skeptical !! How could you not be? But the truth is it is better to hope and fail rather than letting it go. In reality I am still the confused soul. The midnight chimes have done no alteration. But somehow it just feels good :)



2 comments:

Jishnu said...

well as far as i see it u don't need a special day to begin a new life or take resolutions n put them in action...just as in the same way as u don't need a special day to love, to realize that ur mother is the greatest gift etc... commercialization as u said is responsible but in parts...but ppl need sumthing to look fwd to..sumthing to give them that much needed push, the motivation...which they find it in these kinds of 'day' celebrations...So i personally feel its the commercialization of sumthing tht ppl wants n desires... It was these 'days' tht was invented first, commercialization came second...bur Remember always u r a new man every second that u advance in life... live it! n never ever give up on urself...

Alen Aloysius said...

@ jish
so true. But there are times when u dont see or look away from the truth even when it is pointing at your face. I think new year was such an eve for me.

Post a Comment

Please Free feel to comment but do put your name with it!

Followers